Monday, January 11, 2010

Charifits of Fire

Dear Fit,

Where are you?  I went jogging three times last week, and I went again today.  Now that I think about it, I remember that my doctor warned me that I would probably gain weight after I started to exercise.  People tend to eat more to compensate.  Couldn't I have just been born skinny?  Or at least without my voracious appetite.  I guess I wouldn't have been able to as thoroughly refine my amazing wit, though.  I was doing really well with not keeping snacks nearby, but there's a jar of chocolate sitting next to me on our coffee table, and I've had like a dozen . . . but we're going to ignore those indiscretions.

As a supplement to my fit achievements this past week, I purchased a new pair of running shoes, Nike Free, online.  During my research for running shoes, I came across the "barefoot running" phenomenon that is apparently infecting the running world.  Although I couldn't find anything conclusive and reputable that validates the benefits of running without shoes, I came to the realization that the extra cushioning of typical running shoes hasn't proven to be beneficial either.  My temporary opinion, then, is that you either have to have your shoes perfectly fitted, or you need some unrestricted, minimalist approach.  My curiosity with regard to the latter led to the Nike Free purchase.  This position is apt to change once I start to use the shoes, but at least I'll know the truth . . . or as much of the truth as is relevant to my own life.

We are now in Week 2 of our Couch to 5K running plan.  7 more weeks until I can run 30 minutes without stopping.  Skinny is going to be awesome!

Still hungry,

I.M.

2 comments:

  1. I've tried doing the couch to 5k running plan, but I've been stuck on week 6 for approximately 4 months. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Jess! I believe! (Well, maybe wait until I get to Week 6, and we'll see how long I'm stuck)

    ReplyDelete