Friday, January 08, 2010

The Fat of War

Dear Fat,

It’s been a while since I’ve written. Rest assured; it’s with good reason. You see, I had been reviewing past letters to you, and I realized that I’m all talk and no action. I say that I’m going to divorce myself from you forever and that this time it will be different; but my fluctuating weight tells a very different story.

How pathetic.

I declared my independence from you and here I am: ever ready to stick by you. But no more. I am braced for battle and won’t be intimidated anymore.

Last week, with the encouragement of a friend, I ran just over 2 miles. When we started I told her that I would be ecstatic if I could run 1 mile total. The momentum of running downhill carried me through the first kilometer. A goal of 1.5K didn't seem that ridiculous. It was half the distance we had just run. 500 meters. Don't people sprint that in races? I can definitely keep going and run 1.5K. Did you know that 1.6K is a mile? I didn't either until we ran it. The second mile had a similar story. The last quarter mile was an exercise of will power over pain. For the most part pain won.

But I guess what this has taught me about myself is that I'm not a total failure and can push myself to achieve things I never before thought possible. Also, in the event of the zombie apocalypse, if they give up after 2 miles, I'll survive.

"So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself."

Fat, I know you and every day I learn more about me.

To our hundred battles ahead,

Fatticus

No comments:

Post a Comment