Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fatch-22

Dear Fat,

Today I read the story of one red paperclip and was inspired.  I currently have, on my body, 50+ pounds of fat that I am willing to trade up for a new life.  I will take any offer, travel anywhere, to trade these 50 pounds until I eventually end up with a new life.

The One Red Paperclip project was really interesting in that it challenged the idea of value.  He started with one red paperclip and ended up with a house.  Oh yah?  Each new trade was an upgrade from the last item.  First a paperclip for a pen, a pen for a knob... all the way to a house.  Can I make a similar series of trades?

I guess it's time for me to reevaluate my ideas of value.  Right now, an In-N-Out cheeseburger with animal fries would bring me intense joy.  In-N-Out = high value.  A wilted, not tasty salad with bone dry "grilled" chicken brings me pain.  Salad = low value.  This is my current value assessment system and has been for pretty much my entire life.  Clearly it has not been working out for me.

Now for a change of bases.  Value will now be measured in terms of nutrients rather than flavor.  Gross salad with weird spicy/bitter/pretty-sure-they-are-common-weeds of nastiness?  Bring. It. On.

I am uptrading.  Uptrading my laziness for a regular exercise schedule.  Uptrading my body fat for a new wardrobe.  Uptrading my self-loathing for an awesome new life where stairs will not take another breath from me!

I guess I'm a little stuck on that first trade.  I can't get out of bed to exercise in the morning because I can't fall asleep at night and am exhausted in the morning.  I can't fall asleep at night because I'm not exercising in the morning and working out at night makes me more sleepless.  Eff.

Getting the flies out of my eyes,

Fatticus

No comments:

Post a Comment