Sunday, July 04, 2010

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Fat

Dear Fat,

Remember my last entry where I said I would go jogging everyday this week if I didn't reach 3 pounds below my starting weight?  Well, I didn't lose any weight.  And I didn't go jogging.

Chopping off 8 inches of hair didn't shave off even a fraction of a pound.  Does that mean I gained that fraction?  Perhaps the fine neck musculature that used to whip those long, wavy locks around has also converted into excess pudge.

Yesterday, I ate 4 dinners.  No joke.

Today, a day of 2 barbeques, wasn't as terrible as it could have been, but I did consume 2 hamburgers, 1 black bean burger, 2 hot dogs, 3 servings of potato salad, 3 servings of beans, corn on the cob, donut holes, cake, broccoli salad with bacon, and . . . the rest is just a blur.

You'd think that today would be an excellent day to declare my independence from fat, but who are we kidding?  I'm still a little hungry.  Where's that spicy beef . . .

In some degree of seriousness, though, I've been learning through various conversations and facebook stalking that certain people I used to know have now ballooned up to what seems like 10 times their previous volume, and it is quite frightening.  In a way, I've been lucky not to have experienced an exponential increase in weight these past few years, but the danger is there.  I'm not getting any younger, and my metabolism isn't getting any better.  If I want to be skinny, it really has to start now.

So here's to tomorrow, our next day of fitness: tennis, hiking, and softball.  And a salad for lunch.  Just a salad.
Well, maybe a soup, too.
What about a sandwich if I don't get bacon on it?

Aspiring to lean calf muscles and not these bulky cows that I lug around,

I.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment