Sunday, September 11, 2011

One Flew Over the Cuckfatoo's Nest

Dear Fat,

I was skimming my last couple of entries, and I realized that I make quite a few depressing remarks.  My last somewhat hopeful one was actually spent reviewing Hoop Dreams, and that was over half a year ago.  (Actually, I do like that entry the best so far.  I need to be more thoughtful about what I write.)  I mention this because I think I am depressed.  I was attributing this last bout to hormones, but those really shouldn't affect me so much unless something else was going on.

So, I've been thinking it over.  For one thing, I have too much free time on my hands.  I don't do very well on my own for too long, so I am actively looking for volunteer work now to fill up these empty time slots.  I had another thing . . . what was it . . . oh, feeling like I'm stuck in one place for a long time.  Yeah, there's not much we can do about that for a few years (yay, PhD . . . )

I spent about 6 hours making this beef stew and some other things yesterday.  It turned out . . . okay.  I was missing a few key ingredients, but in an effort to exercise economy, I did not go out to buy anything.  Now, I have to eat about a gallon of it.  That should hold me over until Thursday, which is the day that my budget will allow me to purchase food again.  My eating habits may have become more erratic lately.  But we should note that I cannot afford to make myself feel better by consuming egregious amounts of food.

Today, I also went jogging.  During the blackout on Thursday (on which day, my dinner consisted of a banana and some almonds), I guess there was a sewage spill somewhere in SD, so the beaches all have blaring yellow warning signs telling you to avoid the water.  I thus avoided the sand itself and stayed along the road, but then I had no idea how far I was going (and I got bored a little too quickly).  It ended up being 1.5 miles.  Whatever.  I was hungry, anyway.

Learning new songs on piano is frustrating.  I like being able to do things, but I really don't like the effort it takes to get to that point.  Even re-learning these pieces I used to know is not as easy as I thought it would be.  I forgot how sloppy my fingers can be.

Hooray, the autoclave is done.

Waiting for my phage to titer,

I.M.

Addendum:
It's about 6 PM now.  I had to buy ice cream.  I just . . . you know . . . if you were in here in my brain, you would understand.  I'll have about 1 cent to spend on Thursday.  Frick.
I actually feel a lot better now.  I have problems with things like ice cream.  And chocolate.  And ice cream covered in chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment